Thursday, November 12, 2009

The President's Challenge

Today I decided to become a runner. I know it's some of the best exercise you can do for your body, it's great stress relief, and it's relatively easy and inexpensive to get into.

Well, being that I'm so incredibly out of shape, I decided I should probably become a walker first.

The problem I have with any regular exercise program is motivation and sticking with it long enough for it to become a habit. Sure, I unlocked the golden Fit Piggy on Wii Fit by logging 40+ hours of pseudo-yoga, strength training and aerobic activities, but that took me nearly a year. And while it's been a great starting point for doing more serious and strenuous versions of those activities outside of the game, I haven't been able to stick with them regularly, especially aerobics/cardio.

I'd heard of the President's Challenge before (probably during the last failed attempt to whip myself into shape), and I stumbled upon it again today while looking for advice on starting a walking program. You can sign up for several different goals based on your starting activity level, and when you achieve those goals, you receive an award from the President's Challenge. What a great way to motivate Americans to get fit and stay fit - the idea is that if you can stick with the program for as long as it takes to earn the award, you will have formed a regular exercise habit. Cheesy? Yes. Effective? We'll see.

Knowing that my current activity level is far below what it should be, I signed up for the beginner's goal, the Active Lifestyle Program. I just logged my first 40-minute moderate walk around the neighborhood this afternoon. I need to keep it up for five days a week for the next six weeks - wish me luck!

1 comment:

Rachelspotblog said...

yay big sister! way to be determined :)