Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My New Recipe Blog

To all who are following this blog (which I've neglected keeping up, I know), I want to share with you my latest endeavor: Organi-Vegi-Gluten-Free, a new blog featuring recipes and tips for cooking delicious gluten-free, vegetarian cuisine.  I've been eating gluten-free since April 2010, which has been an adventure unto itself, and more recently added vegetarianism to the mix, and for about the last year have been striving to support organic agriculture with my food purchases.

Going gluten-free has been one of the best things I've done for myself in life, as not only has it nearly eliminated the digestive pain I suffered for years with, but it has opened my palate to new flavors, and opened my mind to more conscious eating.  It is so important to know and take responsibility for the food we put in our bodies.  Eat well and be well, my friends!  And check out Organi-Vegi-Gluten-Free!

2 comments:

LynNerdKelley said...

Hi Sarah, Thanks for following my blog! My daughter has celiac's disease and was down to 85 lbs. at one time. Once she found out she had Celiacs, it took her a couple years to figure out the diet and check the ingredients in everything, especially different sauces. If she has even a tiny grain of gluten, she gets sick. Thankfully, there are many gluten-free products these days that make her life much easier, and some restaurants have gluten-free menus. It seems that more and more people are being diagnosed with this strange disease.

When my daughter first found out that she had Celiacs, she told me that it can actually cause death in some people. That sounded like an exaggeration to me. Then a friend told me about her friend's husband who died from Celiac's disease. He was so malnourished and by the time they discovered the problem, it was too late. Now, since my friend is my mother's age, I thought the man must have been in his 70s when he died but then found out that this happened decades ago, when he was in his 30s, and he left behind a wife and three children. So apparently Celiac's can be very serious. There are many people who seem to have a gluten intolerance, but my daughter's case is severe.

I'm going to send her the link to your blog. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is such an incredible and heart-wrenching story about the man who died from Celiac Disease in his 30s. Luckily I do not have CD, but if I had continued eating gluten the way I was, I may very well have ended up with it someday. I am glad I am learning to listen to my body's messages, and I am lucky to have had symptoms of gluten sensitivity/intolerance. A lot of people don't have any symptoms until the damage is done and they have full-blown CD. That is quite scary!

I think we could all benefit from less gluten in our diets, whether we have symptoms or not. It's not healthy to be eating so much of one kind of food anyway. And as hard to digest as today's gluten is, it is surely not wise to have wheat as our staple food!

Looking forward to reading your blog, too. I am still tossing around the idea of writing some children's books someday!