Thursday, January 7, 2010

Get active, get happy

Yesterday I completed the President's Challenge Active Lifestyle Program by getting active at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week for six weeks. For two weeks toward the end of the program, I was unable to complete a full five days worth of exercise because of the holidays. I felt guilty about that, but thankfully, the program allows for two weeks of slacking off (or being ill/injured/otherwise physically unable to exercise).

Going for a daily walk around the neighborhood or at the beach has given me a renewed appreciation for "the slow life." Having been in the drive-everywhere-and-get-there-fast habit that so many of us Americans have been in for several years, I've surprised myself discovering how many places I can reach on foot just to do errands. In fact, in our little corner of Arroyo Grande, literally all the necessities of life are within walking distance. Even the hospital - and if you can't get all the way there on foot, the ambulance company is just three driveways down the street.

The benefits of walking outdoors have been noticeable for me. I'm cheerier after the breath of fresh, clean air; I feel brighter after exposure to the sun, which causes your body to make vitamin D; and eight weeks of nearly-daily walking, my leg and foot cramps and "restlessness," which used to be quite regular, have diminished substantially. The most important benefits of getting active have been the energy boost - which in turn means I have more energy to be active - and the general sense of well-being that comes with listening to and being in tune with your body.

This weekend, I plan to move on to a loftier goal, the Presidential Champions Program. Toward that end, Alden and I are going to join a local gym and keep each other motivated by going to the gym together. After getting pretty good at Wii Fit's yoga poses, I'd especially like to try real yoga for stretching and toning - integrating the mind and breath into the poses.

No comments: